In addition to what our program does to transform lives, AMIkids strengthens the economies of our local communities by developing young adults into productive members of our community. Due to multiple failed placements in the foster care system, many of our kids struggle with behaviorial, academic, and emotional needs that, if left unaddressed, could lead them straight to the juvenile system.
There are over 500,000 children in foster care nationwide, and 1,500 kids just in Circuit 20 (Lee, Collier, Hendry, Glades, and Charlotte counties).
• 20% of foster boys end up incarcerated by the age of 22
• 25% of foster boys end up homeless
• 30% of kids in foster care have severe emotional problems
• 80% of adult prisoners have been in foster care
• Children in foster care, on average, have been placed three times, some as many as 50
• Children in foster care, on average, have been to five different schools
• Only 2% of foster kids ever make it to the university level
Since 2012, AMIkids Crossroads has helped over 100 kids transform their lives and find permanency options, including adoption, mentorship, appropriate foster care, or independent living.
AMIkids Crossroads also places a priority on giving back to the community through impactful service. This benefits the community and teaches our kids the importance of giving back and helping others.